Once you have mastered the Air Squat you will be able to quickly get the hang of the Front Squat. This is basically the same move but adds a weight lifting bar.
In the short video below, CrossFit Seminar Staff member Julie Foucher demonstrates the front squat.
performing a Front Squat:
- Shoulder-width stance
- Hands just outside of shoulders
- Loose, fingertip grip on the bar
- Elbows high
- Hips descend back and down
- Hips descend lower than knees
- Maintain lumbar curve
- Heels down
- Knees in line with toes
- Complete at full hip and knee extension
As with the Air Squat, the Front Squat is an important foundation move in CrossFit. Getting it right means you reduce the strain on your body and reduce the risk of injury.
Get used to Front Squats! You’ll be doing a lot of them.